The development of the Congregation
In 1789, there were 140 houses in the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Nevers. During the French Revolution all the houses were closed. The beginning of the 19th century marked the reconstitution of the Congregation and a new growth.
When Bernadette Soubirous entered the Congregation in 1866, the Sisters were in over 260 communities, many of whom had responsibility for important educational institutions and hospitals.
Between 1902 and 1904 state secularism was voted in by the French Republic and the Sisters were expelled from educational establishments.
The Congregation then sent Sisters outside France to found houses in Belgium (1902), Spain and Italy (1903), England (1904) and Switzerland (1907).
After the First World War the Congregation began a foundation in Japan (1921) and in Tunisia (1925) .
After the Second World War new foundations started in Ireland (1950) and the Ivory Coast (1957). Responding to the needs of Third World countries, overwhelmed by great poverty, foundations took place in Chile (1972), Guadeloupe (1979), Thailand (1979) and Bolivia (1994).
More recently the Sisters went to South Korea (1999) and Poland (2012).
Today, immigrants, homeless, unemployed, and illiterate are still among us. The Congregation continues its mission as members of associations who journey with these people.